Thursday 17 March 2016

Going on a diet

So another day off work with good weather so more guitar butchery...

Not sure why yet but my bench pedestal drill wouldn't work so I used my hand drill with a smaller wood bit in it to hog out as much wood as possible to reduce the workload of the router.


Mmm like a big lump of wooden emantal cheese...


Well that's dropped the weight by a pound!  You can also see where I started attacking the drill holes with a chisel.  This is to give me space to easily plunge my router bit in to the cavity without having to cut down first.


I love the figuring on the lower bout.


Halfway there...


All the way there with only one slight hiccup. I must have hit an exceptionally hard bit of wood with the router as it made a loud cracking noise, I jumped and took the corner off the centre block and when I checked I found a piece of tear out on the bottom. Thankfully it didn't tear out all the way through!


Then, using a chisel because I don't have bearing loaded router bit narrow enough, I connected the p'up selector switch chamber to main chamber where the inside of the rib cage contour is.


There, at nearly half the starting weight this is no longer the heveecaster! Rings nice, bright and lightly airy when tapped too.

You can also see where my hand drilling wasn't quite as straight as I thought.


I jointed the edges of the beech top too.


And glued....

No comments:

Post a Comment