Tuesday 15 March 2016

Cutting the basic body shape

So, I was really excited to use the band saw I got off my wife's grandad...




Safety first, dust mask, ear plugs and safety glasses (not worn in the pic).

Well the band saw whilst great cutting through MDF couldn't cut through the oak, despite being a brand new blade. The wood kept grabbing and stalling the motor so I ended up resorting to using my jig saw and it took over an hour of gently nibbling along.



Even then every now and again the blade (also brand new) would get stuck followed by billowing smoke and sooty saw dust coming from the body blank and left lovely charred marks in the wood when I'd finished.



Some parts, usually when cutting across the grain, cut quite easily.



The bench belt/disk sander however did a fantastic job of reducing the blank to shape.  I screwed the routing template on due to it getting very dusty and not being able to easily see the pencil out line.  The tighter curves which are too tight for the sander were done by hand with rasps and files.


Obligatory dog photo...


 Well trimming it down has reduced the weight by a couple of pounds!


No comments:

Post a Comment