Tuesday 26 January 2016

The body blank





I was given five lumps of oak to choose from so I chose the two that were most similar in size and shape.



Using my electric plane and a fence I squared off a jointing edge on each piece and got them glued up.

    

I then printed of some plans of a Deluxe Telecaster and had a play with some design ideas.  I'm going for a Fender/Gibson hybrid idea.  Sadly I can't use the Tune-O-Matic bridge in the pics as it's fixed at a 12" radius and the fingerboard is 9" one so I'll fit a fix tail Strat bridge.

The oak body blank was originally 55mm thick and at 10lbs was very heavy!



I didn't take any pics (I know I should have) but I used my router and planer jig to level and thickness it down to 40mm it's still quite a hefty 8lb lump of wood though!  Hopefully when its shaped and hollowed out it will be a much more favourable weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment